If you’re reading this, you’re likely a graduate OR you know and love someone who is getting ready for commencement! Either way, a gift list is something that will interest you, because you’re either giving someone a gift, or you’re receiving them! But, you may not want to give just any gift, and that’s understandable. Graduation is special and is a true milestone, and marking it is a great opportunity to give a meaningful and extra-special keepsake. So, what do seniors really want? And what is the best gift to give? Well, the answer varies based on the grad, but we have some awesome options for you today that are much cooler than the basic “card and check” variety.
- Uber gift card: While this is obviously still just a gift card, an Uber one is awesome and super useful, especially if your grad is going to be going to school out of town. You’ll be surprised how much you’ll use an Uber card, whether for travel or fun, and there’s something ultra-fun about a Uber card: You can use it for Uber driving service, or you can use it for Uber eats! What college student wouldn’t love some takeout brought right to their door during peak study times? This is definitely a useful gift that just about any graduate would love. Door Dash is another option for takeout or food.
- Technological Gifts: These are more expensive than a card or gift card, but if you can go in with a few other people, they can be a great choice. An Apple Watch, for example, is a great idea that would be really useful for the active graduate who loves to work out and wants to track their steps/workouts. Other ideas are an Apple Pencil to go with an iPad (if they already own an iPad), or accessories to go with a phone, like a case or portable charger. A bluetooth speaker that has a clip is something less expensive that would work for both girl or guy gifts, and is available on Amazon for under $20. If you’re wanting something very practical for the grad who loves to take photos, try a phone flash drive that plugs in and backs up their adorable images!
- Subscriptions: Pre-paying for subscriptions is a great gift for the cash-strapped college student. You could buy a year of Amazon prime, Netflix, Hulu, or other subscriptions like Dropbox or Trello so that they can use those at college. Buying a year long subscription helps them out financially and eliminates the stress of a monthly payment. There are gift cards available for these services, or you can go to their websites and choose a gift option. They will be ready to binge watch their favorite show with a year-long streaming service, and they’ll use it all the time!
- Pay for a service: Obviously if they’re away at college, a housekeeper won’t do them much good, but along those lines, you can help them with a service related gift. We recommend something like a car wash card (you can buy 10 car washes or details at most car places), just be sure it’s one they will be living near. You could also do something like a pre-payment at a salon, chiropractor, or pedicure. Most college students can’t afford these things every month when they’re gone or paying for college, so it’s nice to have it to look forward to! Other service ideas would be: tailoring, laundry service, haircuts, or dry cleaning.
- College graduation photos: If your graduate is just leaving high school, it’s a bit pre-emptive to pay for college grad photos, but you could include a note inside your card that you’ll pay for college photos when they’re done, or a fun photoshoot with friends. If your graduate has not done their senior photos yet or not paid for their products, offer to pitch in for an album or extra heirloom print…it will mean the world! Contact me if you need help in pitching in for a senior shoot or product for a senior who used my services.
These creative gifts will truly wow the graduates on your list, and will be things they’ll treasure far more than a last-minute trinket from TJ Maxx. Remember that most grads lack time, space, or disposable spending money, so gifts that help them with those areas are extra useful!
Leave a Reply