For the Class of 2020, graduation may seem like yet another loss. We are all grieving various things, but graduation and all the fanfare that goes with it, is a huge loss. My heart goes out to every senior who has been forced to figure out how to celebrate this time without the usual parties, end-of-year festivities, and all those “lasts”. I wanted to share some ways that you can celebrate your amazing accomplishments while under lockdown and without compromising social distancing or your health.
- Have virtual Zoom meetings with your graduating friends. Make standing Zoom meeting times with your pals, especially the ones who would have shared your graduating date. It really helps to know others are enduring the same things as you, especially when times are tough. As a “host”, you can make a standing invite on Zoom, which creates something nice you can all look forward to each week.
- Send those graduation cards: It may seems strange to send your grad announcements at this time, but your friends and family will love seeing a friendly face in their mailbox. You may have to change the wording if it includes dates and times, but rest assured, if they’re already printed, send them anyways. Friends and family will understand the situation, and will love receiving such a happy card right now.
- Create a yard sign or door banner: I am currently offering (for a very limited time) personalized and custom door signs and banners for your yard. These are a gorgeous way to show off your senior images, and to have a tangible reminder of your journey. Your neighbors and friends and family will be able to share in your joy when they drop off groceries or social distance-visit with you. They are also a fun keepsake that you’ll love showing your children or grandchildren in the years to come! To order, click HERE
- Take photos: For some of you, you have your cap and gown already. Ask your parent or sibling to take photos of you wearing it, and acknowledge the hard work you have put into your schooling. Many states do not yet know if and when they will hold their graduation ceremonies, but even if you get to wear it down the road, it’s a nice way to make sure those memories are captured.
- Start planning for College. You can start getting decorations and necessities for your dorm room or apartment.